6.05.2012

the one with the bubbles


working in public can make me feel like i have to get everything right the first time.  it's kind of a mental stress battle for me. my studio painting process is more or less solitary, and part of the reason for that is the intentional allowance for misstep and experiments gone awry. at best, there is inspiration for something new, or beauty to be extracted in the fixing. at worst, there is just a mess to be cleaned up, painted over, or thrown out.

i always have a plan when beginning a painting on an outdoor wall. but just like when working on canvas or paper in the studio - sometimes the idea works, and sometimes it doesn't. stressing about whether the plan is going to go well or not while making the work is not constructive, and i have to work hard at keeping that negativity at bay while making decisions.

there's also the issue of leaving the work in an unfinished state at the end of a day. out in the open. it freaks me out.

then again, working outside of the studio is also a little bit liberating. maybe it's ok to show an imperfect process. maybe its ok, and even instructive, to have strangers ask, "why didn't you stop there?",  or, "it's done? really? are you sure?". outside of the studio/gallery, there is a different kind of accessibility to the work and its making. the ensuing critique can be interesting and/or entertaining.

for example:

random guy passing by: "too bad about the rain yesterday, huh?"
me: "what do you mean?"
random guy passing by (pointing to my painting): "all those drips."
me: "those are on purpose."
random guy passing by: "oh."

and

small child: "i really like those colors."
me: "thanks!"
small child: "your pants are like, really dirty with paint."
me: "yeah...that happens!"
small child: "so, are you, like, a REAL painter?"
me: "yeahup!"
small child: "so, like, that's what you DO?"
me: "yes."
small child: "what's your name?"
me: "kim."
small child: "kim WHO?"
me: "kim west."
small child: "i've never heard of you."

and with that, here you go: a process montage of my latest (completed) mural. (this one is still in the works.) enjoy!


the one with the bubbles is on e3rd st, downtown los angeles/arts district, framed by some blooming jasmine, on part of a wall that is sandwiched between wurstkuche, apolis common gallery and the soon to open poketo flagship store!

thanks again & xo jess for the music.


No comments:

Post a Comment